Anyone still get numbness after a year?

I had been doing so well lately until last week. I am 15 months out after a supposed mild case and am having to work an extra day each week while standing all day. I had begun jogging a little and working out with weights at the gym. All was great a couple months of this until I ran an extra half mile on the tread mill. I noticed that my foot didn't feel right but I thought it was just due to a slight injury from overuse. But overnight that has turned into numbness and tingling that is worse in that foot and extends into that ankle and calf. This was the leg that was hit the hardest initially. Both legs feel weaker too, as well as, nerve twitching which had almost completely gone away. My hands seem affected too. Has anyone experienced this after doing so well and adding activity this far out?

i still have numbness and it have been years

Does the numbness ever get better for you, Tiffany? Mine seems to be associated with overuse.

I have numbness in both of my hands that has been around for years. I still have use, but some things I can't feel anymore. Like my pulse. put my fingers on my wrist or neck ..nothing. I have a hard time with opening things. Arthritis in my left wrist and thumb. I know I have some numbness in my feet but I don't notice it as much. When I have overdone things I get cramping in my back and muscles seize up. I need to sit for about a half hour then I can get up and do things again. I cannot do any vigorous exercises. Not happening for me. I did get me a gazelle glider that I walk on. I like it a lot.

Just keep moving and do what feels good for you.

Hello! I am having similar issues. I am 13 months out from diagnosis. I have been doing some strength training (weights) and yoga; alternating throughout the week, not everyday. I started having trouble with more numbness and tingling as well as difficulty walking at night, when I’m most tired. It took me a few days to realize it is correlated with my exercise days. I’ve had what we have come to call my “Cinderella hour” since I started recovery. This is the time at night or evening when I have trouble sensing where my feet are, walk as if I’ve been drinking too much (no alcohol!), and feet are pretty numb. These symptoms tend to occur more when I’m tired or we’ve stayed out a little late. Unlike what you describe, this has been my norm throughout recovery, it just varies based on my level of rest or exertion.

I got used to mine numbness

I highly recommend that you see your doctor for check up. He told me to not pressure the legs so you dont kill the new regrown nerves especially that we are used to sitting on the floor.

I can't find a doctor who understands about regrown nerves. I'll even take a good book. I have felt my nerves go through a whole destruction then regeneration thing. These nerves are definitely not the same. I don't know whether it's the regenerated ones or ones that are still damaged. Apparently they don't show up damaged on an EMG but they are because I can feel it. It's improved but I still have endurance problems and it's not with my muscles, I can rebuild those, it's understanding the nerves and how they react. My past doctors told me they saw no reason why I couldn't do anything I wanted to do. But this has not been good advice. My body struggles at a point then I fight to regain where I was initially. I never know that point until I've crossed it. I'm 16 months out and I still don't know how to balance activity and rest. I'm doing a lot more activity but the nerves wig out in my whole body when I overdo things. If anyone knows of an understanding and knowledgeable neurologist or someone in NC or SC, please let me know. You can inbox me if you'd like. I didn't even know you could kill the new regrown nerves by your activity level. Thanks, Alya!

I was never told my nerves would rejuvenate or regrow???? I was told I would just feel the damage as I got older. That was almost 40 years ago.

Tarhealing said:

I can't find a doctor who understands about regrown nerves. I'll even take a good book. I have felt my nerves go through a whole destruction then regeneration thing. These nerves are definitely not the same. I don't know whether it's the regenerated ones or ones that are still damaged. Apparently they don't show up damaged on an EMG but they are because I can feel it. It's improved but I still have endurance problems and it's not with my muscles, I can rebuild those, it's understanding the nerves and how they react. My past doctors told me they saw no reason why I couldn't do anything I wanted to do. But this has not been good advice. My body struggles at a point then I fight to regain where I was initially. I never know that point until I've crossed it. I'm 16 months out and I still don't know how to balance activity and rest. I'm doing a lot more activity but the nerves wig out in my whole body when I overdo things. If anyone knows of an understanding and knowledgeable neurologist or someone in NC or SC, please let me know. You can inbox me if you'd like. I didn't even know you could kill the new regrown nerves by your activity level. Thanks, Alya!

Sassycat, I was told that nerves that aren't too damaged can regenerate.

Mine probably did. I could run around with my children, go out dancing, hiking. Not so much anymore. Slowing down.

I found this info if anyone is interested. I came across something last year when my husband got a piece of metal embedded in his arm. He got a Tetnus shot. I read the paperwork. Wow. Made me rethink how I might have contracted this syndrome.

The DPT shot we got in school. I got a DT my senior year in Nov. 1976. I was down with GBS the middle of Dec. Found this article today

Who Should Not Get Vaccinated?

The vast majority of people should receive their tetanus-containing vaccinations on schedule. However, individuals in whom the risks of vaccination outweigh the benefits include those who:

• Have had a life-threatening allergic reaction to DTP, DTap, DT, Tdap, or Td vaccine
  • Have had a severe allergy to any component of the vaccine to be given
  • Have gone into a coma or long seizure within seven days after a dose of DTP or DTaP

Talk with your doctor before getting the vaccine if you have:

• Allergy to latex
  • Epilepsy or other nervous system problem
  • Severe swelling or severe pain after a previous dose of any component of the vaccination to be given
  • Guillain-Barre syndrome

Most of you guys probably already new this. I got GBS 40 years ago. I had know idea.

I was informed to not get the “flu” shot, I never considered tetanus! Thank you

Sassycat said:

Mine probably did. I could run around with my children, go out dancing, hiking. Not so much anymore. Slowing down.

I found this info if anyone is interested. I came across something last year when my husband got a piece of metal embedded in his arm. He got a Tetnus shot. I read the paperwork. Wow. Made me rethink how I might have contracted this syndrome.

The DPT shot we got in school. I got a DT my senior year in Nov. 1976. I was down with GBS the middle of Dec. Found this article today

The vast majority of people should receive their tetanus-containing vaccinations on schedule. However, individuals in whom the risks of vaccination outweigh the benefits include those who:

• Have had a life-threatening allergic reaction to DTP, DTap, DT, Tdap, or Td vaccine
  • Have gone into a coma or long seizure within seven days after a dose of DTP or DTaP

• Allergy to latex
  • Severe swelling or severe pain after a previous dose of any component of the vaccination to be given

Most of you guys probably already new this. I got GBS 40 years ago. I had know idea.

You definitely don't want to get Tetanus though. My doctor told me there was a form of the Tetanus Vaccine that I might need to consider when I need it again.
2dogs3catsandthekids said:

I was informed to not get the "flu" shot, I never considered tetanus! Thank you

Sassycat said:

• Allergy to latex