Board Games and Card Games

Who enjoys board games or playing cards? I used to play card games with myself as a child. Various forms of what we called ‘patience’. Then I became a chess player. Chess is a game where you have to look ahead. So you imagine ‘If I do this and he does that, then I do this…’ and you take yourself down hundreds of possible routes, back-tracking and checking every possibility, before you make your move. You also rely on memorised opening moves – thousands of them, like a language – and general strategic principles. But it’s the moves which break the rules, or contradict the current consensus, which often win the game. They’re frequently the result of prepared analysis. My weakness was I lacked patience and wouldn’t sit my opponent out but I’d attack too riskily. It was a lack of maturity. When I gave up the game it was because I wanted a wider social life.

Chess looks slow. What you don’t see is the mind of the chess player moving at fantastic speed. Anybody else keen on board/card games?

Hey Oxytosin,

I should have figured you as a chess player! I absolutely admire anyone who has the patience and stamina for this level of gaming, even checkers is too much for me!

I like cards, foursomes, played in pairs, where you bid against each other. 500, pinochle, spades, hearts, set back...Haven't played in ages, but always enjoyed this. My husband's late parents were fabulous card players, and they played for keeps too! It was always the gals vs the guys, and his mother was ruthless! HA!

I still play cards with the kids, the girls were never much onto them, but my son and grandson are quite good! I even play 'match' with the great grandson, helps him learn his numbers! What a memory that kid has compared to mine!

Good topic, thanks for posting!

Who else is a gamer?

I could never handle chess. but loved board games and card games. I can play games against the computer but it is more fun to play with people.....haven't found anyone to play though in a long time.

My parents were crossword fanatics. Today lots of people seem to play sudoko. I always enjoyed party games with pen and paper like consequences or the drawing game: sketching the head, folding it over, passing it round to someone who draws the body and folds it etc etc.

We also played battleships, rock/paper/scissors and of course (in the car) I spy as well as animal/vegetable/mineral.

I've just come across this aid to holding a hand of cards. I found it on a website put up by a local man with MS. http://www.aid4disabled.com/pair-of-playing-card-holders/

I have always loved to play card and board games. I guess that is the Emergency Worker in me. We would sit around the tables and play cards or games until alarms sent us on next big call. I have always liked Canasta, Nines, Bunco, Phase 10, Phase 10 (board game), Monoply card game version, Farkle and several others but in the last year or so since my vision has gone so far down hill I hardly ever play any of the games. My family in Buffalo plays when we are there because they don't me being slow and they even help me see. But anywhere else I am just to embarrassed. I am glad to here there are other gamers out there.

Hi jnj2008, if you were a emergency worker you must have seen things. Fire or ambulance staff? Any good stories?

My Dad was very good at cards. He spent hours playing poker in the Western Desert. It was very hot and they'd nothing to do while waiting for orders in the campaign against Rommel. After the war he played bridge and followed a column in the paper which showed you how the experts played their hands. I always liked what they called 'prophylactic bidding' where you go for more tricks than you can win and take the penalties because you reckon if the other side win the bidding they'll pick up enough points to win the match. My grandparents played in whist drives and I learned how to play solo, which is a variation on whist.

My grandparents also played crib or cribbage where you move pegs along a board to score the points in your hand.

Oh, The fire and EMS stories and Search/Rescue stories I could tell you. I doubt anyone on here would want to here but if you would then email me and I will share with you. I worked for many years in those fields.

As for the cards. I treasure the days my eyes let me see to be on here so I can talk to you and enjoy this site. I love to have the days where I can see the cards and actually get to play card and board games. those are great days. Too bad we all live so far from each other of we could have monthy card game days.

That's a great reply jnj2008, thank you. I used to teach paramedics, raising their study skills to university level. They gave presentations on the course, so I've got an idea of what the job involves in Britain.

It would be great to hear some of your experiences, on this site, please! Everyone would be reading them. Only when you feel up to it, of course. Maybe you could start with the odd incident? Take your time, it could be great project!

Yes, crosswords, I used to do them every single day! Perhaps I should pick it up again, my vocabulary was much better!

My mom is a word search fan, she likes the penny press books, and spends hours a day on them! Keeps her off the streets!

My daughter-in-law was going out with a guy who she played scrabble with every day, online. I'm sure games can have social and amorous uses!

Incidentally, crossing over to the other conversation about American/British English I just used 'who' in that sentence when grammatically it should be 'whom'. I don't think many people - not even stuffy Brits! - use 'whom' and 'one' (as in 'one does this or that') very much today. Those two words have too much of a class feel to them.

Also, while I'm about it - Brits are not just stuffed shirts: we're crazy, eccentric, loony as well as formal. For instance John Cleese (I nearly mis-spelt it Cleeze! And 'spelt' is British, 'spelled' is American.)

My favourite British comedian is Eddie Izzard - anyone know him?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Izzard Yes, Oxy, he is quite the character!

Here is one of my favorite Brits. He can be hysterically funny, yet his dramatic roles are superb!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Nighy

I saw Eddie Izzard live at The Brixton Academy about 15 years ago. He rambled amazingly, crazily, taking the audience on impossible mind-journeys. He has said he's dyslexic, which might be part of his eccentric thinking. Lots of dyslexics are goalkeepers, dancers - people who use physical expression more than words - but Eddie Izzard is unusual in that he seems to have harnessed his own language craziness to his act. Mind, I don't know if he really is dyslexic because he speaks fluent French. He certainly is off-the-wall.

A hero of a lot of young up-and-coming comedians on the alternative circuit in Britain is Rick Mayall.

I don't think I'm familiar with Mayall, I've seen some very talented comedians on the Graham Norton show though.