Can you still keep reflexes with milder forms of GBS?

I have actually kept my reflexes though I have suffered with what may have been a mild case of GBS and a reflare of those symptoms. I was a marathon runner at the time so my legs were very strong at the time. I had ascending numbness, nerve firing, weakness that began in my right toe and traveled up my leg on one side before affecting both sides with weakness including my arms and face after I received a Tetanus shot. I was never paralyzed but could still walk on my own but barely and I mean barely. It was amazing that I could because my legs were so numb but I could still feel them through the numbness. The leg and arm numbness/weakness is currently happening again with a reflare following a sinus infection though not quite as bad. Has anyone else kept their reflexes with milder forms of GBS or subsequent CIDP?

Have you kept your reflexes completely? Were they not impacted or diminished at all?

I actually have hyperreflexia.

That’s interesting. Has it always been that way or did it get hyper with your gbs?

When I first had GBS, they said my reflexes were normal but one doctor said it was brisk. Now it's hyper/brisk after this reflare of symptoms so it may have been that way after my first attack.

I know that loss of reflexes is one of the classic characteristics of MFS. But as I’m rapidly finding out, all autoimmune conditions are very unpredictable and personalized to a degree. Have you asked a neurologist about it? Are you concerned there is something else going on?

I'm on a search to explain all of this. I have a big appointment in June and can't wait. Hope I get some insight, guidance and treatment.

I hope you do too! This is a very confounding condition to have, that's for sure.

I was diagnosed with GBS 4 weeks ago. I was in the hospital for 3 nights only because i still could walk a bit. My reflexes are not perfect but for GBS they are very good, it is a mild for of course of GBS.

How are you doing at the moment?

I have the feeling that i'm recovering but the EMG told me today that i went backwards a bit...

Hi daan!

Glad to hear that you feel better. What areas have been affected for you? I am about 15 months out and am doing pretty good. Still have setbacks at times but been adding so much more activity lately. I can definitely still tell that my body was hit with this even though I am able to do so much more. I have added an extra 9 hour work day to my week (3 days now) and that's all standing. My reflexes have settled down and I seem to be doing better that way. I had some cranial nerve issues with mine so I have some vertigo when I have flare-ups now. I am doing exercises to help compensate for the damage and that is working great. I had a pretty tough time at 4 weeks. The more I recover, the harder I take the setbacks even though they are no where near as bad. When I get a taste of normalcy, I just want it to last.

Are you able to walk some? What do you think brought this on? Hope you have a speedy recovery!

Good to hear you are making progress!

I mostly have problems using my hands and fingers in a normal way. For instance typing, playing piano and holding a glass can be hard. Till now I could Always walk small parts and the last week i could walk the stairs by myself. I feel recovery in my upper legs, my lower legs are still weak.

I do not take medication at the moment and hope i can recover by myself.

What kind of exercises work for you?

Tarhealing said:

Hi daan!

Glad to hear that you feel better. What areas have been affected for you? I am about 15 months out and am doing pretty good. Still have setbacks at times but been adding so much more activity lately. I can definitely still tell that my body was hit with this even though I am able to do so much more. I have added an extra 9 hour work day to my week (3 days now) and that's all standing. My reflexes have settled down and I seem to be doing better that way. I had some cranial nerve issues with mine so I have some vertigo when I have flare-ups now. I am doing exercises to help compensate for the damage and that is working great. I had a pretty tough time at 4 weeks. The more I recover, the harder I take the setbacks even though they are no where near as bad. When I get a taste of normalcy, I just want it to last.

Are you able to walk some? What do you think brought this on? Hope you have a speedy recovery!

I had problems typing too and holding things. My PT had me use a type of putty to squeeze and practice with each finger pushing into it. It really helped me get stronger. I don't have any problems typing now but when things reflare I can feel that my left hand is weaker but no one can really tell that but me. My legs are still weaker than they were initially but you can't tell by looking at me. I worked to recover without the medication because of the side effects. Hope you can recover by yourself too. It took me longer than that to walk the stairs so you are doing great!

I do jog a little on the treadmill but mix it up with the stationary bike and the elliptical. I use some weights but have to watch not to overdo things. I hit tennis serves for the first time since this happened the other day and I think I overdid it.

Initially I started off by stretching and walking in a pool to build back my core strength before I started doing more strenuous activities. It worked great.

My experience sounds exactly like you describe but with no reflexes in arms or legs. . It’s OK though because somehow I never crashed with my breathing and am not paralysed.

Hi Kathy! How are you doing now?