Childhood Memories

My best childhood memories are the beach. The whole family would camp out on the sands in winter in overcoats and scarfs and sit around the tent crouched behind windbreaks with me as the special boy, the focus of attention. I was an only and it was always fun when I visited my grandparents on the coast. In the summer we'd sit out in deck chairs and play at burying people under sand or building sand cars, sand airplanes or sand camps, defying the sea when the tide came in. Or we'd hit around balls, something I was bad at, and make mazes out of sea shells. I think of it as a blue break between long, boring, term-time hours in the classroom. If I want to feel good now I think back to being on the beach.

Those are surely fond memories! There is something so soothing about the shore...

Sundays were always special to me, a day when the entire family would pile in the car and head out, usually destination unknown. Sometimes we'd take rides through the mountains, especially on the hot summer days, on the tree lines narrow roads.

There was always a relative or friend visited somewhere on the trip, and they always had a beautiful meal for us. They always seemed to have the extra food, and time, made it look so effortless and always made us feel so welcome, even when there were 7 of us!

I love to hear that you enjoyed your childhood in spite of the burden of CMT. I too had a pretty good childhood having 4 other siblings to share time and experiences with. I did try to play ball and skip rope and even road a small Honda 50 cc when I was not successful at riding bicycles. I was lucky to be a teen in the mid 70's so I did freestyle dance and actually was thought to be pretty good! As long as I did not have to dance close to a partner and could "fall into step" with the music I seemed like a pretty accomplished dancer as I did have music and rhythm! LOL

I am glad I've experienced climbing rocks in The Garden of the Gods, Colorado, hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back in a day and used to run 5 miles a day 3 to 4 times a week as well as ran a cross country race in the mountains of Mena AR and took first place in women's division. I taught aerobic dance 5 ,1 hr classes a day. A determined mind and inherited the tenacity of my Dad; His encouragement touting me, "Can't Never did anything unless he tried" got me many experiences I might not have had, had I known early in my life what made me so "odd" compared to my peers. Memories are very good to have when you can no longer move to far from your chair.

~~~CM

I was rubbish at school sports, even though at that time I didn't have a neurological problem. If the ball came to me in team sports I'd somehow manage to collapse with it to the floor or lunge in the wrong direction. I could never seem to read the flight of a ball, whacking the air or ducking far too early. I hated running - stitch in the side, gasping for air - and was too frightened to learn to swim even though I loved water. But I did enjoy games on the beach where I was safe with my grandparents. What tripped me up was the competitive business, I was too afraid of failure and how it would look in front of the other boys. With good reason, as they bullied me in the way many boys who are bad at sport get bullied. With my family on the beach there was no contest. I was the only child so I wasn't supposed to be as good as them. It freed me from the measurement of performance and I enjoyed the simple fresh air and the fun.

Oxytosin

I never competed either. I always had the attitude to compete with myself; Try to do better than the last time I tried. LOL Sports was only an individual thing for me; As for ball playing it was only among my friends and family when very young and was for fun. Again, running was for pleasure and with a neighbor, which was for our morning pleasure and at our own pace. Can't run at all now as foot drop is pretty bad at this point. I've worn out my knees and hips from running so it's one of the long gone days and just a memory and wondering how I ever did it.

For me, it was Marching Band for JR high and HS and only b/c I worked all week memorizing my piece so I could watch my feet and not trip during marching and formation. No one ever knew that I'd memorize so I could march. LOL I found my way in school and did have feelings of "how is everything so hard for me" it seemed so easy for all my peers. But, again my Dad's "Can't never did anything til He tried" haunted my thoughts so I pushed on. One thing, CMT has helped me be stronger in character so I can manage the tough stuff with a bit of understanding, empathy and kindness from others. I get frustrated with myself though and have bursts of emotional madness at times; My Citalopram (Celexa) helps me control that for the most part. Can't put on my necklace, earrings or zip up clothes or do buttons and I have the tool that should help but it doesn't. Daughter even bought me several of the magnetic clasps but still difficult. Propreception is a bigger issue now so I find I just sit and stay in one spot more than I used to do.

Fresh air, sunshine and a good cozy in the winter makes most days comfy! I at least have supportive family and friends and that is sure a blessing.

~~~~CM

Sport can be fun, for instance on a bowling alley in a group you see people simply enjoying themselves. It can be spectacular when Bolt competes against the record and tribal when teams bend the rules to try and smash their opponents. It's good for kids to get exercise but win at all costs and the cult of celebrity can spoil a sport. I read an interview with a really thoughtful American Football star whose name I can't remember who was retiring at 28 because he wanted to play great sport not give soundbites/pose for photo-shoots.