CIDP and a cold

Wondering how having a cold affects anyone out there! I seemed to have caught a cold last week and I can’t tell if its making worse or not since this is my first week tapering down my prednisone dosage plus my first week without physical therapy. I blame the cold for making me feel worse but wondering what the rest of you have expererienced.

There should never be a week without physical therapy.

It is up to you to exercise daily.

You must push yourself.

You are your own physical therapist.

If you do not discipline yourself to exercise, you will slowly slip back into paralysis.

Be careful that your cold does not turn into something worse - like a chest infection. If it seems to be heading that way, I would advise seeing your family doctor. Chest infections are not good for CIDP patients.

By the way, Merry Christmas - it is great that you are coming off your meds.

Are you taking any immune suppressants, such as Imuran or Cellcept? If so, a cold could be a real problem, because you will have less ability to fight it off.

Also coming off or tapering Prednisone can make you feel exhausted and depleted mentally and physically and this is without a cold

I cannot speak for CIDP, only for GBS, however several of my small exclusive group of survivors and therapists have read my post this morning...

Dec 4 2012 Bringing my steps slowly back up, getting closer to full recovery from bronchitis. That was yesterday and I tired well around 4 pm. Not much coughing. Fingers crossed, I may not have lost as much ground as first thought. I was and am a good answer to that ever asked question..."I've had GBS. If I get a cold will it affect residuals? Will I relapse? " ...Yes you will have intense residual pain and neuropathy. NO! You will not relapse unless you are totally foolish and try to continue through your ill period with an intense workout. Absolutely stop when your ill. Wait until the illness has past. Only when your sure its gone, slowly resume your recovery. Yesterday's step count was 1200. For newcomers, that is independent walking, inside not out. Today I shall watch the signs and play it by ear. May the Grace of God be with you. One Step at a Time..

I will certainly watch to see if I get worse. I do intend to keep doing my physical therapy in my own when I feel a bit better. I just feel so run down!
Glad to be tapering the meds down too!
Merry Christmas back to you
Uncle Bill- I’m not on any other meds but that’s good to know. The neuro did tell me I needed to let him know if I runs fever and need antibiotics. Thanks!
Pauletta- good to know. It’s just been an odd week and hard to tell why I feel worse. But such is the case with CIDP I suppose. Were you on prednisone? Did you have a similar experience?
Bull- thanks for sharing! This is all good info and makes me know I’m not alone and totally crazy.

one of the reasons i love this place! thank you pauletta! i am currently tapering off prednesone (and have a cold) but new i was having a worse time than needed figured it was the cold but after two years of steroid that makes more sense again thank you for shareing shame my dr couldnt have said something we have enough to deal with may i take a moment to wish all off you a happy holiday season as for my family we will be celibrating a merry cristmas and hope you all join in

I got a cold a couple of weeks ago and I thought I was having another major attack as it worked its way through my body. I took 1000 Vit C an hour for 2 days ( becareful can cause diarrhea ) and then reduced for the following 5 days, coupled with plenty of Eucalyptus burning in my room and on my clothes. It helped. Janie

Hi Robert - Im interested to hear you say this - i do exercise each day and wonder if pushing is good or will fatigue me further. I love walking so its easy for me to want to do this - but i feel nervous. I appreciate that unless we load our muscles they will shrink and we will become weaker. Mmm ... thinking Janie

Robert Eiferd said:

You must push yourself.

If you do not discipline yourself to exercise, you will slowly slip back into paralysis.

Be careful that your cold does not turn into something worse - like a chest infection. If it seems to be heading that way, I would advise seeing your family doctor. Chest infections are not good for CIDP patients.

My comment was more of a general statement about the value of exercise. The original post mentioned that physical therapy had ended. My point was -- physical therapy becomes our own reaponsibility after we are released from treatment. I do believe that one should be prudent when being attacked by a cold virus. Taper off until the cold passes. The problem is - it really takes self-discipline to start and keep up with an exercise program.. If you stop for a week or so it is very difficult to regain the resolve and zeal necessary to exercise consistently.

bob

Janie said:

Hi Robert - Im interested to hear you say this - i do exercise each day and wonder if pushing is good or will fatigue me further. I love walking so its easy for me to want to do this - but i feel nervous. I appreciate that unless we load our muscles they will shrink and we will become weaker. Mmm ... thinking Janie

Robert Eiferd said:

You must push yourself.

Thanks Bob - I agree ( Im keen to do more - just feel a little nervous as relapses knock me around so much ) and I was excited when you said - push yourself, perhaps I already do. Enjoy your eve, appreciate your response. Janie

Robert Eiferd said:

My comment was more of a general statement about the value of exercise. The original post mentioned that physical therapy had ended. My point was -- physical therapy becomes our own reaponsibility after we are released from treatment. I do believe that one should be prudent when being attacked by a cold virus. Taper off until the cold passes. The problem is - it really takes self-discipline to start and keep up with an exercise program.. If you stop for a week or so it is very difficult to regain the resolve and zeal necessary to exercise consistently.

bob

Janie said:

Robert Eiferd said:

You must push yourself.