Insurance

I just wanted to share a couple of sites for those who might have insurance problems. The first is "Advocacy for Patients with Chronic Illness". It was founded by Jennifer Jaff, she was a trial lawyer and a law professor before starting the organization.

Where patients can get free information, advice and advocacy services in areas including but not limited to the following:

How to get your own medical records.
How to get and keep health insurance.
How to get health insurance coverage for particular treatments, drugs, and/or therapies.
How to get private disability insurance coverage.
How to get Social Security Disability Income.
How to assert your rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
How to assert your rights under the Family and Medical Leave Act.

How to ensure that schools accommodate students with chronic illnesses.

Here is her website: http://www.advocacyforpatients.org/

Here is another website I just found: http://www.healthlawadvocates.org/

Hope this helps.

I also worked for Blue Cross and Blue Shields in Appeals before I became ill. I will be happy to help anyone.

Thank you for this. I just searched insurance and hopefully these websites will help. Having major problems with Blue Cross Blue Shield paying for IV/IG.

Hi Tracy,

I have Federal Gov't Blue Cross Blue Shield code 105. When I was in the hospital in Nov 2011 I received IV/IG treatments. I don't remember paying an outrageous co-pay/co-insurance. I now have what seems like a relapse and my neurologist has ordered another round of IV/IG 6 weeks apart, over 2 days each time for a total of 5 or 6 treatments. I had the first treatment as outpatient and got a co-insurance bill for $3200! I can't afford that 6 times. I called BC/BS and I called the hospital. "Oh well" was the reply. I'm on a payment plan paying for the first treatment. At first it didn't seem to help, but after 5 weeks, I felt like my old self (pre-2011) again. It was awesome, so I'm confidant the treatments will help me.

Any advice on fighting BC/BS to pay for more than 85% of the bill. They claim even if I was hospitalized in patient I'd still have to pay. Thanks for any advice.

Tracy Z. said:

I also worked for Blue Cross and Blue Shields in Appeals before I became ill. I will be happy to help anyone.