Joint Pain

My last round of IVIG'S was October 21, 22 and 23. I usually always have a head ache and stomach issues. This round was totally different along with the headache, I have terrible joint pain in my hips, shoulders, lower back and knees. I am in constant pain, so I have learned to deal with it. This time my pain level has been a steady 8+. Has anybody else experienced joint pain after infusions.

I have been having infusions monthly since June 2014 and this past month have changed to every 8 weeks.

Hi Lorraine,

In order to avoid the side effects of the IVIG that you mentioned - (the headaches and stomach issues) my doctor ordered Solu-Medrol, loratadine and acetaminophen to be given before I get the infusion.. I have joint pains occasionally and when I do I take acetaminophen or even an aspirin ( I like to avoid aspirin because it has given me an upset stomach in the past, but it is a good pain reliever).

Do you get your IVIG three days in a row each time you get it? Ethel

I get them three days in a row. I have been monthly since June 2014 and this is the first time I have tried every 8 weeks. It is also the first time I have had joint pain this bad. I take acetaminophen. I have also used bio freeze this time and used estim during my therapy appointments.

Ethel said:

Hi Lorraine,

In order to avoid the side effects of the IVIG that you mentioned - (the headaches and stomach issues) my doctor ordered Solu-Medrol, loratadine and acetaminophen to be given before I get the infusion.. I have joint pains occasionally and when I do I take acetaminophen or even an aspirin ( I like to avoid aspirin because it has given me an upset stomach in the past, but it is a good pain reliever).

Do you get your IVIG three days in a row each time you get it? Ethel

I started IVIG last summer, my first attempt to taper from weekly to every other week was terrible. Joint pain, spasms, etc. I went another six weeks before my follow-up at Mayo. I would recommend you follow-up with your doctor. I didn’t because I was on a protocol from Mayo that my local neurologist was following. We didn’t know any better. My doctor at Mayo clinic started me back on weekly and said we would “attempt” to taper again in six months. If I have another flare like last time, I will just continue weekly. Good luck and I hope it turns back around again soon.

L