Julie Newmar: TV's Catwoman is Outwitting Charcot-Marie-Tooth Disease Just like She Outwitted Batman

From Timothy Sexton, Yahoo! Contributor Network

The first thing that catches your attention when you talk to Julie Newmar is that she still has the same purr in her voice in her 70s that helped win her the iconic role as Catwoman on the 1960s "Batman" TV show. Just in case you aren't aware of who Julie Newmar is, let's get one thing straight: she is the only Catwoman that will ever matter. My first phone conversation revealed that Julie Newmar is so much, much more than Catwoman, however.

Before Catwoman, Julie Newmar achieved fame as a dancer capable of combining grace with sensuality, making it particularly tragic that she developed Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease, a disorder that results in the loss of muscle tissue and the ability to sense touch, especially in the feet. Miss Newmar's only reference to this unfortunate crippling of her talent was "I have CTM or CMT…whatever it's called." Her almost comic dismissal of a neurological disorder that has permanently reduced her once noble sense of mobility is a feature of the once and only Catwoman that defines one's admiration of her.

Resources: http://voices.yahoo.com/julie-newmar-tvs-catwoman-outwitting-charcot-marie-11751774.html

I always loved Julie Newmar. I had no idea she had CMT.