Migraines and CMT

Hi! I am new to this sight. Was only diagnosed a few yrs ago. Have had issues my whole life. Hips were displaced at birth. Wore leg braces as a child and wore ugly orthapedic shoes. In 2000 I was hit with Cidp and spent a few years in wheel chair. Ten yearslater my cido went into remission,It was then that they realized I had CMT as well.

Currently I am on sick leave due to Migraines. I go for acupuncture and chiro treatments. Apparently I have severe Tmj and muscles are siezed from my hips up. I am asume this is all CMT related. Anyone else have this problem?

Also curious about other people with CMT do for work? I am working as a security operator. I work 10 hr shifts for 7 on and then 7 off. They dont pay well so usually end up doing overtime. It is killing me, exhausted all the time! Thinking of going back to school. I am single and my kids are grown, so I am my only income. Was thinking of taking medical office asst. Would like to hear from others as to how they deal with this..

Hopalong

Hi …I just joined last evening, March 23, and read your post. Since CMT is hereditary our family has a long history of patients to study and learn from. On bad days, just walking drains my energy levels so I understand where you’re coming from with always feeling tired. What you will need is a sit down job; if not now than certainly in the future; plan for it, doctors can not assure you of anything. Up until a year ago, I did medical coding for a hospital. I might suggest that you check it out as a new career path. It is a sit down job and after the first year the pay will go up considerably, depending on the area where you reside. Medical Assistant jobs do not pay well and will keep you on your feet. CMT is also a progressive disease and it may affect your hands; you need your hands to be good medical assistant. If you‘re going to spend the money to go back to school make sure you research any field in relation to having CMT. Regarding medical coding, many of the schools and universities; on and off line may tell you that once you have the certification or the degree, you can, or they will help you find employment. Here is how that may play out…the school may very well find you a job however, if you live in California and the job is in New York, their promise of successful employment will not be feasible for you however, the school’s resource development office will have considered their part in helping you find employment fulfilled. So, now you will have a degree and a loan that will need to be paid off, but no * job prospects. Do check out the career and see if it even interests you because you will put in great deal of hard work and study time. If the field sounds like something you could handle then make sure the school you choose has a Degreed Educational Counselor you can meet or speak with...not an Admissions Counselor. The admission counselor’s job is to get you to sign up and pay! It’s the degreed counselor’s job to know the field, starting salary in the area you live and advise you, answer your questions and support you through to the completion of the program. If the school is worth its’ salt…they will have an internship program attached with the degree/certification program (minimum of six months)*because employers will not hire you without that minimum requirement being satisfied. I hope that may have helped you; in one field anyway. CeeCee

CeeCee Thanks for the information. I had to give up my career as a pharmacist, due to symptoms of CMT, and now my husband has lost his job after 28 yrs with Time Warner. I thought about medical coding, but don't think my hands work well enough. Trying to motivate him to go back to school for something.

CeeCee said:

Hi …I just joined last evening, March 23, and read your post. Since CMT is hereditary our family has a long history of patients to study and learn from. On bad days, just walking drains my energy levels so I understand where you’re coming from with always feeling tired. What you will need is a sit down job; if not now than certainly in the future; plan for it, doctors can not assure you of anything. Up until a year ago, I did medical coding for a hospital. I might suggest that you check it out as a new career path. It is a sit down job and after the first year the pay will go up considerably, depending on the area where you reside. Medical Assistant jobs do not pay well and will keep you on your feet. CMT is also a progressive disease and it may affect your hands; you need your hands to be good medical assistant. If you‘re going to spend the money to go back to school make sure you research any field in relation to having CMT. Regarding medical coding, many of the schools and universities; on and off line may tell you that once you have the certification or the degree, you can, or they will help you find employment. Here is how that may play out…the school may very well find you a job however, if you live in California and the job is in New York, their promise of successful employment will not be feasible for you however, the school’s resource development office will have considered their part in helping you find employment fulfilled. So, now you will have a degree and a loan that will need to be paid off, but no * job prospects. Do check out the career and see if it even interests you because you will put in great deal of hard work and study time. If the field sounds like something you could handle then make sure the school you choose has a Degreed Educational Counselor you can meet or speak with...not an Admissions Counselor. The admission counselor’s job is to get you to sign up and pay! It’s the degreed counselor’s job to know the field, starting salary in the area you live and advise you, answer your questions and support you through to the completion of the program. If the school is worth its’ salt…they will have an internship program attached with the degree/certification program (minimum of six months)*because employers will not hire you without that minimum requirement being satisfied. I hope that may have helped you; in one field anyway. CeeCee

Hi I have never even heard of medical coding! Is that perhaps an American thing. I live in Vancouver, BC. I currently work as a Security Operator.The hours are long and the pay is not good. My shifts are 10 hrs long. I work 7 days on and 7 off. Often work over time to help meet ends meet. Drs are saying migraines are being triggered by stress from too much sitting, which is one reason i was considering MOA as i would be up and down, also could get on at hospital as clerk.

CeeCee said:

My Dad has CMT and severe migraines. He finally realized they were due to food sensitivities. I wonder if he wouldn’t have them if not for the CMT? Good luck with your new career search. I have Trigeminal Neuralgia and had to give up my career.