Operations

Hi, im Jan a 62yr old who as cidp for 21yrs,i had an operation and after I was freezing at 4.15in the morning 2 days after op,i got up and made a coffee and went back to bed in my housecoat and socks and snuggled up to my husband,i asked the doc if it was to do with op and he said he had never heard of it,so I am putting it down to cidp as anyone else had anything like this happen to them after an operation I would like to hear from you, I also have my pins an needles never got rid of them.

Yes, I have read that an operation can be the initiator of GBS and perhaps CIDP. I wonder about this, as muscles and nerves are being traumatized. But, I am learning through my layman reading towards a medical degree, there are many mysteries the body will present to you over the course of your life.

Maybe it was the coffee?

Juan Valdez

I had never heard of CIDP until I was diagnosed with it and I am a nurse. Most of my patients are geriatric and while at times they will complain of pins & needles, we chalk it up to nerve damage from the incision OR inflammation caused from the surgery itself. I don't have any patients (to my knowledge) with GBS, either.

I have had “frezzing spells” but not after an operation. Some days after a bad day the day before, I don’t even want to get out of bed b/c I’m soooo cold ---- and I’m a 5:00am riser. Though it is 70 deg in the house and a nice day outside, I’m still under the heating blanket most of the day. It usually happens the week after the IVIg. Cause ???

I SWIM THE LAST DAY OF AN INFUSION AND THE NEXT DAY. THIS ALWAYS SEEMS TO KNOCK THE SLUGS OUT OF MY BODY.

Starting in January, I'm going to once a weekly infusions of 40 grams/week because my bi-monthly leaves me in a trough after 8-9 days.

I have "fuzzy-mind spells" immediately after infusions which I "unfuzz" with copious amounts of espresso at Starbucks right after infusions. I bought my infusion station (nurses) at the hospital an espresso machine for Christmas... I'll be there until 2020, so why not? In 2020 I'm moving to Connecticut for my freezing spells... lol.

RE "freezing spells": It usually happens the week after the IVIg. Cause ???--- Cold is sensory, but warming the body is motor muscles in action, but the temperature commands are from the brain, complex and (I think) regulated in the medulla/cerebellum.... a very reptilian place in the brain. Try lying down on a hot rock outside like a lizard.

Geepster said:

I have had "frezzing spells" but not after an operation. Some days after a bad day the day before, I don't even want to get out of bed b/c I'm soooo cold ---- and I'm a 5:00am riser. Though it is 70 deg in the house and a nice day outside, I'm still under the heating blanket most of the day. It usually happens the week after the IVIg. Cause ???

I think Estaban has got something there when he refers to the muscles as the heat generators. Why did’t I think of that? I’ll test the theory with today’s infusion and the week after. It’s 9:10am and I’m in the infusion center being infused with 20gm of Gamunex-c given as a 10% solution in 200 cc. Each mL contains 100 mg protein and 15mg glycine - a necessary aminoacid. After an hour, it’s running @ 120 mL/hr. I’ll get two of these bottles and one 100mL bottle for a total of 150gm today over abour 3 1/2 - 4 hr. I’m well hydrated with Zero, coffee, and water. My only extra meds are ii tylenol and i 25mg benadryl plus a 0.5 mg Lorazepam - keeps my bp down and makes the time fly. I passed on the IV Solu-Medrol cause of the gastritis I have chronically. 10:45 Finishing 1st bottle @ 150mL/hr & @ ready 4the second 200mL bottle. No side effects at all. Bp rose a little (12mm hg). Should have blogged this.

I did blog this under CIDP IVIg dosage infusion rate reactions tagged to ivig and CIDP.