Plasmapheresis

Has anyone under gone this for any amount of time and how many catheters did you go through and what kind did you have? My daughter has CIDP and we are going to try this treatment in the hopes that there many more good days ahead. Thanks for the info.

HI I STARTED PLASMAPHERESIS THREE YEARS AGO IN FEBRUARY. I HAVE A CENTRAL LINE PORT AND I HAVE NOT HAD ANY COMPLICATIONS IN 3 YRS. I HAVE IT FLUSHED ONCE A WEEK WITH HEPRAN AND THE DRESSING CHANGED ONCE A WEEK. HOPE THIS HELPS

Dear Momtosix: My husband underwent plasmapheresis two years ago. He was given a mega blast of 6 consecutive days which was done in the hospital. He had a catheter inserted in his lower neck which remained in for the week. Everyday a technician would hook him up to a centrifuge machine. It would pump his blood out, separate out and remove his plasma, then replace his plama with a synthetic plasma which would then mix with the blood and return to him. The process took approximately 2 to 2.5 hrs each time. It was quite fascinating; in fact the nurses came from all over the floor to see it as it is very rare. It was far less scarey than we had imagined it to be!

We had plenty of time to talk with the technicians who came and gave the treatments. They told us of patients who have had some wonderful results with plasmapheresis. Some had one or two treatments and others go every few months to once a week; depending on the disease and severity. They discussed having to put in a "permantent port" if my husband were to have to get more treatments and it would have to be flushed and cleaned once a week. It is extremely rare to have the six blast treatments like my husband had.

My husband did feel better for about 6 weeks afterward. His feet did not hurt as much and his energy level was great. Unfortunately, his CIDP diagnosis turned out to be incorrect and we have found that he has Axonal Neuropathy and the plasmapheresis will not help. I do wish you and your daughter the best on this journey. I would definately try the plasmapheresis; it is not as scarey as it sounds and I hope it will bring her some great relief of her symptoms.

Best Wishes,

Lisa

I had plasmap. 1 to 2 X WEEKLY FOR 6 WEEKS DURING THE ACUTE PHASE OF MY ILLNESS...I have met other patients who never had it (I volunteer at a nsg/rehab center where I was a pt. for 7 mnths) and they have had slower recovery. I was quite ill and semi comatose but think I had only 1 change after the original catheter(shunt)

I attribute my miraculous recovery to the plasmapherisis and the IVIG