Shaky fingers

I was initially diagnosed with GBS in November 2012. In 2013, that diagnosis was changed to CIDP. The past year has been challenging with multiple stays in hospitals and rehab facilities. I am now home since October and doing very well. I'm getting stronger, can stand and walk some, and my activities of daily living are increasing and increasingly stable. I have been receiving IVIG treatments every month. I use dictation software to write. My question is about what appears to be some instability is in my fingers when I do things like try to use a mouse at the computer or use my cell phone to surf the web. My fingers shake.

has anyone else had this experience? Thanks.

I have had shaky hands since the beginning. It is not too bad, but noticeable when I try to lift a glass of water that is almost full. Oddly enough, concentrating on not shaking seems to make it worse. (But try not to think about shaking. It's like: "Don't think about an elephant.")

Bill

My neurologist told me that tremors in the hands/fingers can be one of the side effects of CIDP. For me it's not too bad an issue and usually gets better after receiving IVIG.

Hi there,
Yes, I have those shaky fingers too. It is hardly possible to doubleclick with a computermouse for me. Anyway, I found out that typing on a touchscreen is lots easier than an ‘oldfashioned’ keyboard. Just try it once.
Have strength,
Willem

If the shakiness continues, there are things you can do with your computer to assist, like chane the settings on your mouse to ‘one touch’ instead of having to double click. The touch screen idea is a great one. The shakiness does ease up as you progress with your IVIG. Good luck

Smannakee said:

If the shakiness continues, there are things you can do with your computer to assist, like chane the settings on your mouse to 'one touch' instead of having to double click. The touch screen idea is a great one. The shakiness does ease up as you progress with your IVIG. Good luck

Yep, can't play guitar and also have had the shakes in my fingers and arms, thank God for spell check. Gary

Thank you everyone for the feedback and suggestions! I have an IVIG coming up next week. I hope this will help. I will also see what I can do with my computer mouse and the screen. I am comforted by learning that others have this experience and found ways to "overcome" it. Fantastic and Thank you!

Gopi said:

Thank you everyone for the feedback and suggestions! I have an IVIG coming up next week. I hope this will help. I will also see what I can do with my computer mouse and the screen. I am comforted by learning that others have this experience and found ways to "overcome" it. Fantastic and Thank you!

Shaky fingers seems to be common to CIDP people, at least the ones that I know, especially with fine motor movements like Bill's full glass of water. I have played guitar for nearly 50 years and it was my main way of expressing what I was feeling within me. Now I have trouble playing even the simplest songs which is a huge loss.

I haven't found a solution to this symptom to offer you. I have tried all sorts of finger exercises and they seem to help me some, but not much. You can find many of them on the web if you seach guitar warm up finger exercises. If you try them, please start doing them gently and pick the ones that feel right for you since there are many different ones.

I think muscle fatigue may have something to do with it. For me, I can usually write the first word or two of a sentence fairly well but after that I start shaking. Same thing with guitar. Have you noticed anything like that?

Blessings to all,

Rev. Mark

I was a professional guitarist and I lost my ability to use my hand fingers from ulnar/median nerve involvement. Tremors in the hand can also be Essential Tremor, depending on age and ? . I have facssiculation that originate in cervical spine roots effecting deltoid, trapezoid and brachall plexus.

Exercise seems to alleviate symptoms and return strength, flexibility. Also, deep massage vibrator/heat at cervical and lumbar nerve roots seems to allow the action-potentials to reach their objective easier.

The more the nerve roots have demeylinated and re-meylinated, the less likely any therapy will restore them.

Yes I have shaky fingers kind of mild for the moment but annoying. I have dropped several coffee cups and phones. I don’t have the hand control I used to thank god for autocorrect on my I phone. Lol

Hi! My husband has CIDP and has had it for 10 yrs. The shakiness started last year. Now it is getting so severe he has trouble tying his shoes, buttoning his shirt and writing with a pen or pencil. Any fine motor activity is difficult for him and causes him to shake even more when he tries to concentrate.

He takes IVIG treatments every 4 weeks. Thankfully he still walks and can maintain his job. The future looks dim for recovery or regaining any muscle or mobility back.

Thankfully, we believe in God as our help and strength and depend on Him greatly!

I am grateful for this site because my husband doesn't always like to discuss his weaknesses or feelings. It depresses him and makes him feel weak.

Thank you all for your openness and sharing!

Blessings!

My neuro told me that the shaking was due to weakness in the hands. On top of that, I take prednisone, and tremors are a side effect of that, also.

I use a stress ball to help increase the strength in my fingers, and I still try to type as much as possible to increase coordination.

The title of this article is, "Shaky hand, stable spoon: Device helps essential tremor patients".

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140228121128.htm

The spoon could be useful, especially with a bowl of soup. :-)

Blessings,

Rev. Mark