Two questions

1). The head of nursing for IvIg, at my new provider, asked if I wanted to change from 120 grams every two weeks, in three-day increments of 40 grams— To two days, every two weeks of 120 grams in two-day increments of 60 grams each day. Anyone have the latter schedule or something similar, and, how is it working out?

The entire dosing, scheduling at my previous provider (K-Y Sir! HMO) was a slap-dash affair on the part of the 7 different neurologist that I had over three years. Mistakes by neurologists... about 10, but it only takes one to kill you!

2). Now, with new provider, I notice mistakes by the injection nurses on my first week there. Three serious mistakes in three days, which were my first three day there! ( 1-serious deep bruising from needle site in inner forearm, 2- cap of injection tubing left off while nurse dealt with bubbles in the line, while I bled all over the bed sheet, unbeknownst to us!, 3- another instance of deep bruising and coagulation under skin of third injection site, front of right hand).

Do I complain to the head nurse, a man named Marshal who is very professional, or to my PCP, or my neurologist? Or, do I remain silent?

Apparently, at my new provider (a hospital setting), all the injections are relegated to phlebotomists, not RN's or physicians... weird, yes?

Estaban, perhaps if you deliver a little humor with your comments, you can get the message across without the phlebotomists getting defensive. You can show them the bruises, for instance, and ask how much you owe them for the new tattoos. Sorry it has been a rough start -- I hope your next phlebotomist is top-notch.

Yes, a bit of humor helps.

Although, my little joke months ago at a Kaiser infusion (12/31/2013- New Years Eve day) about my bag being too heavy as it was full of bombs and firecrackers— Well, that got me arrested, charged with 1st degree terrorism, and my health insurance canceled— a long story that I previously wrote about on this forum.

And by the way, my Kaiser phlebotomy-oncology nurses never made one mistake out of the 30+ infusions given me— they're angels that I showered with candies and gifts and hugs... loved them.

I'm still trying to see the humor in that "mad- bomber" incident. Information from a reliable source, an administrator who works at Kaiser in Oahu, informed me that I was a cost-cutting measure, since my IgG treatment hovered at $400K ± and was climbing.

But the good news is that the 120 grams, given to me by the needle-happy nurses last week (from a Blue Shield HMO), kicked in today after a grueling swim, a swim I forced myself to take as I was in INTENSE CIDP pain and weakness this morning. I am convinced that my IgG fuzies needs a kick start, an extreme swim or really sweaty weight-lifting to start the cascade of antibody chemistry to make me feel like dancing, dancermom. LOL. Really, tonight I feel like dancing, but my wife is in Florida...

Thanks for your reply. Instead of tattoos, I think I place an inked X where I want the needle poke(s)... it can only get better, lol.

dancermom said:

Estaban, perhaps if you deliver a little humor with your comments, you can get the message across without the phlebotomists getting defensive. You can show them the bruises, for instance, and ask how much you owe them for the new tattoos. Sorry it has been a rough start -- I hope your next phlebotomist is top-notch.

That is quite a story about the bombs and firecrackers! I'll have to look up your previous post. I'm glad the IvIg has kicked in for you, estaban. Save me a dance -- I am dancermom, after all...