What are you looking forward to, now that the weather is warming?

Being able to lose at least one layer of clothing has great appeal to me, being able to get out to the nursery to shop for new flowers and shrubs to plant with the grandkids, and just being able to open the windows will be a wonderful change! I look forward to spending more time outside in general! What about you?

No freezing feet! even in Southern California.

Eric

being outside, the smell of rain. sunshine on my painful body, sitting by the lake reading, walking more

Waking up to the sun shining and the birds chirping! I live on a ravine lot and there a many different types of birds with the most beautiful sounds! One hot nights even though we have the air conditioning running, I HAVE to have the window open a crack to hear the sounds of the warm night, and then the birds chirping first thing in the morning....having gratitude for all that is!

Me too! Visiting the nurseries to shop for flowers to plant in my urns! Enjoying our meals outside and listening the to sound of our pond trickling....

Only sad part is that this beautiful season is TOO short!

9-IMG_05161.JPG (3.12 MB)

The sounds of the birds chirping in the morning! On hot summer nights even though the air conditioning is running, I keep my bedroom window open a crack to hear the sounds of the summer nights. Birds chirping in the morning, I live on a ravine lot, and I hear all kinds of different type of birds...having Gratitude for all that is!

Enjoying our BBQ meals on our patio and listening to the sound of our pond trickling! The best!

Sad thing is that this beautiful season is too short! Enjoy it as it comes!

Oh, and yes of course, me too, love shopping at all the nurseries for flowers to plant all my urns.

Namaste,

Carm

Spring love.

Eric

Carm, that is a beautiful plant, is it a begonia?

I hear you about the freezing feet, Eric! I wear the xtra thick wool socks in winter and they still turn blue most of the time!

Oh, it never rains in California, Eric, it just pours! You have to wear your flippers there in winter!

I'm looking forward to my blue birds and mocking birds returning! I go out and whistle with them, they're a blast! The neighbors think I'm nuts, and of course, they're right!

I love, love, love being outside and working in the garden. However, I cannot get up off the ground so that limits me a LOT.

My husband and I are going to start some straw bale gardening this year. It requires no bending, and can be done from even a standing position if you use two bales.

Here is a link if you are interested. It is not designed for people with disabilities, but it sure does work out well for us!

http://www.wholehomenews.com/blog/Planning-Your-Straw-Bale-Garden/417

Enjoy!

Hi Writes-a-lot,

My husband built us raised beds with landscaping timbers, filled in with compost material and top soil we purchase by the truck load from an excavator down the road. The nice thing is that you can always add on and make them higher, it certainly saves a lot of bending, which to us is back-breaking! Our neighbor teases us, that they look like the raised graves in New Orleans! ha!

He just replanted strawberries there for the kids, we grow peppers, green beans, onions, lettuce, carrots. He even rigged up sprinklers for those and the grape arbor that he built. This man won my heart when he built me a set of all solid wood full height bookcases for our first Christmas which are in the living room and later made me a matching set for upstairs. I'm thrilled with his contributions! He also made us a solid wood shelving case for crocks and large bowls!

Back to gandening, yes I can relate, getting down and getting are problems for us too! ha!

I have been plagued by hay fever since I was a kid, it's not the hay or straw actually, it's the mold and mildew they seem to retain. It bothers the grandkids too, so we have to be careful with straw and hay, husband even buys a special mold resistant mulch for the yard.

We have had such hard winters the past two years, it killed off a dozen or two shrubs and flowering shrubs, so I'll have to do some research before replacing them. My brother has offered us white lilac shoots that I may accept, but they would take years to mature, so I'll have to think about that. We had a row of multi-colored butterfly bushes as a front hedge killed last year, this year our green shrubs in front of the house died. They just pulled those out last weekend.

I wish you great success with your gardens! Looks like a fun project! Thanks for sharing! Good to hear from you! Hope you write a lot here more often!

SK said:

Carm, that is a beautiful plant, is it a begonia?

I didn't think that the pic attached, I was having trouble attaching it! Yes, Red Dragon Bagonia...they grew triple the size by the end of the summer! I felt terrible cutting them at the end of the freeze. I love designing all my urns. I do Christmas ones too.

I also have those purple hanging hardy plants throughout, I think they are called "morning" something, not glory. These begonias did so well in this spot. I had one on the other side of that one, this is my front entrance. Everyone that walked up to my entrance thought they were fake...they grew massive that there was very little room to step up to my front door! I have discovered that these flower do best here, I have tried many different types and these flourished. I am doing the same this year. I feel like I am in another world when I garden, especially designing the urns. My beds are hard for me to do, so we are getting rid of some of them as we had too many.

Stay well,

Carm

I, too, am very lucky to have an extremely handy and able bodied husband! He does all of our gardening, but I really miss it so we are going to try the straw bale gardening.

I do grow herbs and some other small things on our deck, which I can access easily. A few years ago we found planters that rest over the deck railings so we have beautiful flowers out there all summer now, too. I will post a picture when they are in place this Spring; we live in Wisconsin so everything comes inside during our frigid Winters.

Writes-A-Lot

SK said:

Hi Writes-a-lot,

My husband built us raised beds with landscaping timbers, filled in with compost material and top soil we purchase by the truck load from an excavator down the road. The nice thing is that you can always add on and make them higher, it certainly saves a lot of bending, which to us is back-breaking!

Hi Writes-A-Lot,

Glad to hear you also have a handy husband! That makes us luckier than most!

Please go to your inbox and check your messages!

Wishing you well,

SK

My hubsand is going to be working on our gardens he started last fall.
can we post pictures?? And i am ready to ride in my power wheelchair with a friend in her wheelchair too they have Fibromyalgea.

Sounds good to me Rita! Yes, please post photos! BTW I have suggested having a BF photo contest, and I think it’s going to happen!